EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT GLADYS KNIGHT: This article aims at telling you everything you need to know about Gladys Knight. at the end of the article you should know the answer to the following questions:
Gladys Knight age
Gladys Knight birthday
Gladys Knight parents
Gladys Knight siblings
Gladys Knight husbands
Gladys Knight siblings
Gladys Knight children
Gladys Knight home
Gladys Knight movies
Gladys Knight career
Gladys Knight books
Gladys Knight net worth
Gladys Knight Grammy Awards
Gladys Knight Social media account
GLADYS KNIGHT AGE/BIRTHDAY
Gladys Knight was born on 28th May 1944, which makes her 77 years old in 2021. Gladys knight celebrates her birthday on the 28th may every year.
GLADYS KNIGHT PARENTS
Gladys Knight was born to her father Merald Woodlow Knight Sr., he was a postal worker, and Sarah Elizabeth Knight her mother.
GLADYS KNIGHT SIBLINGS
Gladys Knight has one sister and two brothers, her sisters name is Brenda, her living brother’s name is Merald Bubba Jr. and her late brother’s name is David.
GLADYS KNIGHT HUSBANDS
Gladys knight has been married four times, to four different men.
Gladys knight first got married at the age of sixteen, she got married to jimmy Newman in 1960, she got pregnant but had a miscarried after they got married, they were married for 12 years even though during the marriage jimmy Newman left because he became a drug addict. They got divorced after being separated for seven years in 1973. Jimmy is now late.
In 1974 the year after her divorce, Gladys knight got married to Barry Hankerson, he was an uncle to Aliyah, and he was also the creator of Blackgrounds records. Their marriage ended in 1979, when her husband moved to Detroit and she had to stay back with her crew the PIPs, the couple had a long battle over who will take custody of their only son.
In 1995, Gladys Knight got married the most popular motivational speaker Les Brown but their marriage only lasted two years, they got divorced in 1997.
In 2001 Gladys Knight married William McDowell, together, they have seventeen grandchildren and ten great-grandchildren between them.
GLADYS KNIGHT CHILDREN
Gladys knight and jimmy have two children, James “Jimmy” Gaston Newman III, he was born on was born on August 13, 1962. In November 1963, Knight had her only daughter, Kenya Maria Newman. Gladys Knight also had one son with Barry Hankerson, his name is Shanga Ali Hankerson, and he was born on August 1, 1976. When Shanga Ali Hankerson her son was kidnapped, Gladys spent over a million dollars in his search. Gladys Knight and her husband William McDowell, together, they have seventeen grandchildren and ten great-grandchildren between them
GLADYS KNIGHT HOME
Gladys Knight and her husband McDowell live in Asheville North Carolina.
GLADYS KNIGHT MOVIES
- Coming to America
- Seasons of love
- Holidaze: the Christmas that almost didn’t happen
- Hollywood homicide
- Pipe dreams
- Twenty bucks
- Unbeatable Harold
- I can do bad all by myself
- Almost Christmas
GLADYS KNIGHT CAREER
Gladys Knight started by singing in the church choir, her fame started when she won the Ted Mack’s the original amateur hour TV show when she was sonly 8 years old. That year, Gladys and her siblings and two of their cousins Williams and Eleanor performed at her brothers birthday and when their mother saw this, she insisted that they became a group and then they chose the name pips, which was gotten from the name of their own cousin’s James pip wood. After becoming a group they went for many talent shows and emerged victorious from all of them. They got signed in into the Brunswick records after a while, two out of the five Brenda and Eleanor got out of the group to get married and they were soon replaced by a cousin and a friend, since then, they have released a lot of songs and albums and won lots of awards as a group. Gladys while she was still with the pips had some solo music and sang with some other musicians.
GLADYS KNIGHT EDUCATION
Gladys Knight got an Honorary Doctorate in Performing Arts, Shaw University
GLADYS KNIGHT QUOTES
- If all I do in my life is soothe someone’s spirit with a song , then let me do that and I’m happy.
- Talent like Michael’s is rare. I feel so privileged to have known him and so look forward to honouring his memory in what is going to be the biggest and only tribute to this great showman.
- We all have a responsibility, and since I’ve been so wonderfully blessed, I really want to share and to make life at least a little better. So every chance I get to share the gospel or uplift people, I will take full advantage of that opportunity.
- You could have told me yourself that you found someone else, instead I heard it through the grapevine.
- I always kind of thought I want to be a good person, I want to be right to my fellow men and love them like were supposed to.
- I don’t regret any decisions I’ve made in my life.
- When you pay your money to see me, I want you to have the best concert you can have from me.
- I had some great mentors as I was coming up and starting to sing so early – I’ve been singing since I was four.
- Soul is just that inner spirit. I use that inner spirit for whatever it is I do.
- Sometimes the best things are right in front of you; it just takes some time to see them.
GLADYS KNIGHT NET WORTH
Gladys Knight has a net worth of $28 million dollars. She made most of her money from her singing, her shows, she gets paid fro public engagements, she has also made money from the sales of her books among others.
GLADYS KNIGHT BOOKS
Here are some books written by Gladys knight:
- Between each line of pain and glory
- Many different roads, a common path.
GLADYS KNIGHT GRAMMY AWARDS
Gladys Knight has been nominated over 20 for the Grammy award, but she has won seven times with the following:
- Gladys Knight won best gospel choir or chorus album with the song “one voice” with saints unified voices.
- Gladys Knight also won best gospel performance with the song, “heaven help us all” with Ray Charles.
- Gladys Knight won best traditional R&B Vocal Album with the song “At last”.
- Gladys Knight won the best POP performance by a duo or group with vocals with the song “love overboard” with the pips.
- Gladys Knight won the best POP performance by a duo or group with vocals with the song “what are friends for” with Dionne Warwick, Elton John and Stevie wonder.
- Gladys Knight won the best POP performance by a duo or group with vocals with the song “neither one of us (wants to be the first to say goodbye)” with the pips.
- Gladys Knight won the best POP performance by a duo or group with vocals with the song “midnight train to Georgia” with the pips.
OTHER THINGS ABOUT GLADYS KNIGHT
- In 2009 Knight sang “His Eye Is On The Sparrow” and “The Lord’s Prayer” at the funeral service for Michael Jackson.
- Gladys Knight joined the Gamblers Anonymous in the 1980’s because she had a gambling problem; Gladys Knight blew off $60,000 in one night. They were able to help her stop the gambling, however, the gambling problem lasted over 10 years.
- Gladys Knight and her husband Williams McDowell, own a community center, it was the Williams the former Reynolds High School in canton,
- Gladys received a start on the Hollywood walk of fame.
GLADYS KNIGHT SOCIAL MEDIA CONTACT